On June 12, 2016, Western Avenue School lost a beloved teacher and staff member, Mrs. Shannon. For 19 years, Mrs. Shannon worked here, 18 of those years side by side with Mrs. Tammy Thompson in 5th grade. She was taken from us far too soon.
Mrs. Shannon was one of the greatest in the teaching profession and the Western Avenue community was so fortunate to have her teach here. She made a difference in the life of every child she touched, and that was always her first priority. Mrs. Shannon was kind, loving, intelligent, patient and so caring. She made a difference with colleagues, parents and the community, too.
The staff at Western Avenue are confused, mad, overwhelmed and devastated by her passing. As we help each other through this first school year, we honor Beth by, celebrating her life, being the best we can be for the children, and by serving the students each and every day with a smile, patience, encouragement and guidance.
As a staff we shared in a book study on Spirit Whisperers, by Chick Moorman. This is a beautiful book that characterizes the type of teacher and person that Beth Shannon was. She truly nurtured everyone's spirit!
Now, with the help of our Western Ave. students, our PTO, the Get Up and Grow Committee and Geneva High School staff and students we -
- Are creating a memorial garden in our school's courtyard
- Planted a tree and installed a bench and forthcoming plaque outside of her classroom in the front of the school building. This Autum Blaze Maple and Red Fern Bench was installed outside of her classroom as a memory of her favorite class read aloud, Where the Red Fern Grows. Pictured at right.
- Are designing a permanent mural in our building's entryway
- Are contributing to the Beth Shannon Memorial Scholarship Fund through the GEA
- Hosted the community wide Shannon Shuffle 5K Fundraiser on May 12, 2017. We raised over $7000! More information and pictures from the event can be found on the Shannon Shuffle webpage
- Will be hosting a dedication in the Spring of 2018 to honor Beth's life and her many contributions to our community. Please join us on May 19, 2018, find more information and RSVP here.