ViewGeneva 304
Home Mobile
What we found in the Coultrap time capsule!

Posted: 9/30/2013
On Saturday, September 28, 2013 Geneva School District dedicated the District's administrative offices the Coultrap Educational Services Center in honor of Harry M. Coultrap, who served as Geneva's Superintendent of Schools from 1912 to 1950.

The dedication was attended by more than 50 people, including Paul Coultrap and Martha Coultrap-Bagg, the grandchildren of the former superintendent. Incorporated into the building's new sign and brick pathway leading to the flagpole are bricks from the original Coultrap building on Peyton Street, which was built as a high school during Mr. Coultrap's tenure and dedicated in his honor in 1958. The building was torn down this summer.

During the dedication ceremony of the 227 N. Fourth Street building, a time capsule found during the razing of the original Coultrap building was opened revealing:

  • two Geneva Republican newspapers dated July 7, 1922 and August 11, 1922;
  • a 116-page yearbook titled "Gecohi" published by the Geneva High School senior class of 1922 and dedicated to Mr. Coultrap;
  • a 1918 half dollar, a 1920 dime, a quarter dollar with no discernible date;
  • and a letter typed on Mr. Harry M. Coultrap's stationery outlining the history of what was then Geneva Community High School District No. 149 and the building of the new high school.
Geneva We Are Logo
Geneva School District 304 strives to keep up-to-date and accurate information on this website. Some information, however, may be outdated. Please call for the most up-to-date information. Geneva School District 304 is not responsible for the appearance, content, or validity of any 3rd party pop-up pages that may occur as the reuslt of using these web pages(s).