GENEVA – At approximately 7:30 this morning, a Geneva High School student poured gasoline onto himself from a water bottle and was immediately prevented by students and staff from taking further steps to do self-harm or harm to others. No other students were injured as a result of this incident and administrators responded.
Local police and fire departments immediately were dispatched and arrived at the scene, which took place in the cafeteria, and the student was transported to the hospital. High school administration followed District protocol, temporarily put the school on a soft lockdown and rerouted students away from the cafeteria. The soft lockdown has since been lifted and the students have resumed their school day. The fire department has cleaned the cafeteria, which is now safe for students to re-enter.
The safety of our students is the District’s first priority, and guidance staff are on hand to provide support and assistance as needed.