March 11, 2020
Please know that Geneva 304 continues to actively monitor reports of COVID-19 and follow guidance from the Illinois Department of Public Health, the Kane County Health Department, the CDC, and the Kane County Regional Office of Education. The purpose of this letter is to communicate with you important information related to steps we are taking to help maintain the health and safety of our students and staff.
The IDPH continues to recommend that schools hold classes and events as usual, although we acknowledge this situation can rapidly change. As such, we are taking these proactive measures:
- We have formed a COVID-19 Task Force, made up of district representatives across departments, including Building Administration, Learning & Teaching, Student Services, Health Services, Human Resources, Operations & Management, Transportation, Food Services, Technology, and Athletics.
- We are having additional conversations with a variety of stakeholders to actively make preparations so we can respond quickly to a potential situation.
- Our health services staff and administration are monitoring the health and wellness of all our students and staff.
- We continue to stay in contact with the Kane County Health Department, Illinois Department of Public Health, Kane County Regional Office of Education, and neighboring school districts.
- Schools are cleaned and disinfected daily by custodial services.
- We have worked with our Health Services team and administrators to create a webpage of curated information provided to our district by the aforementioned organizations.
PLANS FOR LEARNING
At this time, IDPH is not recommending canceling classes or events. However, if it became necessary to close school, Geneva 304 would collaborate with the local health department to determine the length of time and steps moving forward. Should a closure occur due to circumstances related to COVID-19, we currently anticipate making up the days lost. This type of situation is why we have five emergency days on our school calendar. While we are trying to protect the education of our students, we also recognize that alternative scenarios must be considered, so to that end the District is also developing plans for the potential implementation of remote learning opportunities for students.
Please know that should a closure occur, we would notify the Geneva 304 community with the same communication methods we use for snow day closures.
GUIDELINES FOR MINIMIZING THE SPREAD OF GERMS
- The IDPH recommends the best way to protect against coronavirus is by taking these precautions:
- Washing your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoiding touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoiding close contact with people who are sick.
- Staying home when you are sick.
- Covering your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched objects and surfaces.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
The most accurate and up-to-date resource for COVID-19 information is the IDPH website
; their “What you need to know” document can be found here
In addition, the IDPH is prepared to answer your questions about COVID-19: call the hotline at (800) 889-3931 or email [email protected]
As always, our building principals and nursing staff are happy to help you problem-solve any questions or concerns you may have.
We will continue to monitor the situation and keep you updated. Thank you for your support in helping to keep our school community healthy.
— Geneva CUSD 304