What is the Geneva Early Learning Program (GELP)?
- The Geneva School District opened the GELP preschool program for the 2017-2018 school year. Our program is a five days per week, tuition-based preschool program for residents of the Geneva School District 304. Three-year-olds attend the morning session from 9:00 am to 11:30 am and the four-year-olds attend the afternoon session from 12:30 pm to 3:00 pm.
How many preschool classrooms are there at the Geneva Early Learning Program (GELP)?
- We are so excited to be growing! GELP opened in the Fall of 2017 with only three blended classrooms for both the AM and PM sessions. In the 2022-2023 school year, we now have five blended classrooms for both the AM and PM sessions!
What type of curriculum is used?
- We utilize a district created curriculum following the Illinois Early Learning Standards with a focus on Geneva 304 Kindergarten Readiness Standards.
- Standards are taught through developmentally appropriate play-based activities and experiences within thematic units.
What is a typical preschool day?
- A typical preschool day will include gross motor time (outside playground or inside motor room), fine motor activities, small group activities in the classroom, whole class circle time, and supervised free play.
- All classrooms follow the same schedule that includes learning CORE concepts (alphabet, numbers, colors, shapes) and prepositional concepts (for example: open/close, beside/next to/between, etc.). Our thematic curriculum will rotate each year.
What sets GELP apart from other preschools?
- Our teachers are dual certified by the Illinois state Board of Education in Early Childhood and Special Education. Some teachers also have their ESL endorsement.
- Daily staff within the program include speech pathologists, social workers, occupational therapists, physical therapists, program and building nursing staff.
What is the student/teacher ratio?
- Each tuition-based blended classroom will have around 15 students with one certified teacher and most classrooms will also have two instructional assistants. Almost all our instructional assistants are also certified substitute teachers in the district.
What else does GELP offer students?
- Outdoor fenced playground for GELP students only.
- Indoor Motor Room for GELP students only.
- 5th grade buddy visits to the classroom.
- In house and outside field trips.
Will bus transportation be offered for tuition based preschool students at the Geneva Early Learning Program?
- Currently, bus transportation is not available for tuition based preschool students.