A primary responsibility of Geneva CUSD 304 is to keep students safe. This responsibility extends to the digital world as well, especially as technology use continues to increase in support of learning and teaching. There are multiple ways that the District works to keep students safe while using technology.
Responsible Use = Safe Use:
Educational use of the District's network/Internet resources is the No. 1 way to protect students from inappropriate content (see Acceptable Use of Technology in the school handbook
How do we keep students safe while online?
- We meet or exceed the requirements of the Children's Internet Protection Act (CIPA)
- Educate students on how to use digital resources responsibly and safely (Digital Citizenship)
- Internet filtering of inappropriate content
- Level-appropriate sites and applications (Elementary, Middle, and High School).
- Block drugs/alcohol, adult content, advertisements, and other harmful or inappropriate content.
- Continuous evaluation based on feedback from teachers, administrators, and other staff.
- Safe Search Enforcement
- Many search engines, including YouTube, offer a safe search mode. Where available, the District enforces safe search to further limit inappropriate content.
- Applied to all students, regardless of location (for take-home devices)